Usability and UX tips for website design
When we come up with website design, it can be easy to get obsessed with aesthetics. But if we want to achieve goals such as brand recognition or lead generation, we will have to focus on more things.
In a world where most people consult a variety of pages on a daily basis, the web designer has to ensure that the design is optimized. Having a great domain name, taking care of the loading speed or doing email marketing campaigns will not help if the web does not convince.
Good usability (how easy it is to use the website) and user experience (how pleasant it is to interact with it) should take center stage. These two elements require a lot of study, but we will cover the most important concepts when creating a website.
Simplicity in website design
Although the appearance of a website is important, most visitors do not have access to evaluate the design. Rather, they come to find specific information or to take action.
Adding unnecessary design elements according to Paramarketing, that have no functional purpose sometimes makes it difficult for visitors to get what they want to do. A simple but well planned web development can be more useful than something complex and very elaborate.
From a usability and UX perspective, simplicity in online presence and website design is a good ally. It is possible to use it in different ways. Here are some examples:
- Colors: Do not use too many, in no case is it recommended to use more than 5 colors for the design.
- Typefaces: The typefaces you choose must be legible at a minimum, and in a limited variety of colors. It is recommended to use at most three different fonts in at most three or four sizes.
- Graphics: Should be used when helping the user to complete a task or perform a specific function.
Visual hierarchy to create the pages
Visual hierarchy involves organizing your website elements so that visitors naturally perceive and interact with the most important elements.
When it comes to optimizing usability and user experience, the goal is for visitors to complete the desired actions. Structure the site in such a way that they are attracted to certain elements. This has to be achieved in a pleasant way by adjusting its position, color or size.
Navigability to favor actions
Of course, a good web design must have intuitive navigation which is crucial to ensure that visitors can find what they are looking for. Ideally, the visitor shouldn’t have to think long about where they should click next. That you can move from point A to point B easily and intuitively. These are some tips to optimize navigation:
- Keep the main navigation structure simple, best near the top of the pages.
- Include navigation in the footer of the site if possible and necessary.
- Use breadcrumbs to let people know your sailing route.
- Include a search box at the top so that visitors can search by keywords.
- Try to avoid offering too many navigation options on the same page.
- In most cases, it is best to keep the navigation no more than three levels deep.
- The links within each page should make it clear where they lead.
After deciding which will be the main (top) navigation of the site, it will have to be maintained over time. It means that their location and labels should remain the same on each and every page of the site.
Consistency in website design
The overall look should be consistent, to create a modern and functional website on all pages. Backgrounds, color schemes, typefaces, and even the tone of writing are areas where consistency can have a positive impact on usability and UX.
This does not mean that each page must have the exact same layout. Instead, different layouts can be created for specific types of pages. For example, one layout for landing pages, another layout for informational pages, etc. By using these layouts consistently, we will make it easier for visitors to understand what kind of information they will find on a given page.
We must also think that the time will come to make a coherent graphic design in the advertising materials. Examples would be creatives for ads or for email marketing campaigns to send information by email.
Credibility to inspire confidence
Ultimately, the use of web design conventions (design elements and strategies that visitors are already familiar with) can help give more credibility to the site as a whole. If we strive to build a website that provides the best possible user experience, the credibility or trust it conveys will always be very helpful.
One of the best ways to improve your website design credibility is to be clear and honest about the product or service you display or promote. Avoid having visitors search through multiple pages to find out what is really being offered. On the product or service pages we have to be direct and dedicate resources to explaining the value we bring.
Usability and user experience depend on the preferences of the end users. This is something that is contemplated in the design and development stages, and that most of the time, web designers supply by contributing our experience.
Still, the ultimate key to improving website design is user testing. Collect feedback and make changes based on what we learn.
For this, we can test the design with the same client and at the same time among their potential clients and collaborators. Even request the opinions of other colleagues who are around us.
With looser budgets for website design and deeper analysis, more resources can be used. User testing tools include the following:
- Focus groups: Groups of people are convened to test the design, see their reactions and get their opinions.
- Heat maps: Applications that record hot spots or areas that users click on.
- Scroll maps: Applications that record navigation and scroll on the site pages.
Conclusions on website design
Getting visits through advertising campaigns or good web positioning is useless if the pages do not convert. This is a big problem on any service website or online store.
The first thing is to establish a good structure to lay out the pages. The creation process does not have to be custom-developed, almost any framework or CMS will allow you to comply with the previous points. Search engines will reward effort, and the set will facilitate differentiation on social media.
A very important fact to take into account is that a very high percentage of website visitors fail to convert or abandon because, unconsciously, they perceive that their experience is not valued. Enough reason to put yourself in the shoes of your website visitors and consider the actions they take during their stay. Surely you will discover faults or aspects that can be improved, don’t you think?
See more about web design:
- Είναι το site σας idiotproof;
- Είναι το site σας mobile friendly;
- Είναι το site σας έτοιμο για SEO;
- Είναι το site σας έτοιμο για να κάνετε SEO;
- Είναι το WordPress το καλύτερο για το SEO;
- Εισαγωγή στο WordPress Blogging
- Ελληνική Εγκατάσταση WooCommerce
- Επιβιώνοντας από την καμπύλη απογοήτευσης στο SEO